Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Memory Lane

Found this on eBay today. If you don't feel like clicking on the link, it's a little porcelain koala. Though the auction description doesn't say so in the item description, this is part of a Lipton tea promo from the mid-80's. Each box of 100 tea bags came with one of these little porcelain animals. There were about 15 different figurines in the collection, but it seemed like every other box contained a squirrel. Back in the day, the women of my family had an informal competition going to see who would get the koala figure first. I don't recall who won, but they drank far more than $3.99 plus shipping to get it. I also don't recall what happened to the herd of squirrel figurines we collected in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine (I'll call him JACK) collected dozens of them , and on a weekly basis would sneak into a certain coworker's cubicle (we'll call her DIANE in this little ditty) and leave it on her desk. It drove her mad trying to figure out who it was. Worse, she kind of figured it was Jack, and would always confront him. Their conversations ALWAYS would go like this:

DIANE: Did you leave this on my desk?
JACK: Nope.
DIANE: Really?
JACK: OK, I did.
DIANE: You did? Really?
JACK: No I didn't.
DIANE: Come on, I know it was you!
JACK: OK, it was me.
DIANE: Really?
JACK: Nope...

He'd torture her like this ENDLESSLY, and she could never decide if it was him or not!!!

She kept them all on her desk, Arranged Just So, and of course every once in a while he'd rearrange them on her, especially trying to create obscene animal orgies.

When he finally gave her the last one, he waited a week and then turned the tables. One at a time, he started to steal them back!!!

-Larry S. aka mrgrooism