Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Double Whoop-de-do!

First, I finally got rid of the rest of the dead vines growing around the garage door. That had been on my to-do list since we bought the house more than a year ago. At first, the problem was that, having lived in apartments our entire adult lives, we did not own a ladder. Once that was remedied, we ran into problem #2: I won't get up on the ladder. "Heights" is on my short list of absolute fears (below clawed crustaceans, for those of you keeping track--I would climb a ladder to get away from a Dungeness crab). However, today, I managed to talk myself up onto the fourth rung of the ladder and take the loppers to the vines until I could yank them down and chop them into little pieces for composting. Getting eyeball to eyeball with one's gutters without holding on to anything might not count as an accomplishment to most people, but most people would also comfortably go out onto the balcony of their third floor apartment and don't have anxiety attacks on the Sky Ride at Cedar Point. I am not most people.

The second Whoop-de-do is that I spotted three emerging tomatoes on the plants today. This, after a bout of blossom drop that made me think I might have nursed these from seeds for nothing. With luck, these are just the first three of many.

No comments: