Sunday, June 20, 2004

Type Casting

Recently at work, we were discussing our Myers-Briggs personality types. Myers-Briggs tests are supposedly rooted in more psychology than a Cosmo quiz, but the entertainment level is the same. It's far more interesting to read the descriptions of the profiles than to know that I am supposedly an Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging type--though it is a bit of a comfort to know that only 2-3% of the population test that way. Descriptions of my type include the phrase "sees more to the forest than just the trees." I find the forest/tree question to be unnecessarily limiting. Why trees? Why can't I choose between seeing the forest and the moss, deer or squirrel? As if to demonstrate this, in the midst of the discussion, my boss asked what my sign was. I launched into how I am a Leo going by dates in the newspaper, but if you account for the precession of the vernal equinox due to perturbations of the Earth's rotational axis, I'm actually a Cancer.

Apparently, I do that sort of thing all the time. I don't notice. I simply think that the world would be a much better place if everyone was precise and accurate at all times. According to my personality profile, other people find this annoying.

No comments: