Friday, September 26, 2003

Welcome to Penguin Perspectives! Oh, the pressure of my first entry, especially since nothing much is happening today to comment on.

I'm split on the Do Not Call List. On one hand, I would rather telemarketers not call me. On the other hand, we as human beings are not morally obligated to pick up the phone just because it rings. If the phone rings during dinner, let the machine get it. The whole situation reminds me a bit of when I was in high school and a friend of mine and I made a habit of sitting for an extra few seconds after the bell rang, just to prove we were not rats in a maze, conditioned to move whenever the bell signaled the end of our lunch period. People assume that if the phone rings, you must answer. If it is someone you know, they'll either leave a message or call back.

No comments: