Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Blood in the Water...

By one of my two barometers of presidential approval, Bush is in trouble. Today the local oldies station played both Edwin Starr's "War" and Jonathan Edwards' "Sunshine." The implications of "War" are pretty obvious ("War [grunt] what is it good for? Absolutely nothing..."), particularly on a highly republican radio station. I'm not sure that anyone at the station has listened to the song "Sunshine" with the current administration in mind, but if you read the lyrics, the correlations are hard to miss.

I've wanted to call in and dedicate that one to the president, but I'm not sure anyone would get the message.

Incidentally, my other approval barometer is if and when Comedy Central reruns "That's My Bush," the sitcom parodying the president, back when we all thought he was stupid and before he became scary. It suddenly dissapeared from the lineup on September 12, 2001. It's made reappearances for President's Day marathons, and not long ago, it ran for no apparent reason, albeit at 2 a.m. When it reruns for no reason during daylight hours, the end of the administration is nigh.

No comments: