Sunday, April 17, 2005

Chased Down by 800-316-5569

I'd be willing to bet that those of you out there who found Penguin Perspectives because you were having problems with excessive calls from 888-872-2629 are now having the same issue with 800-316-5569 coming up on your caller ID 4 or 5 times a day. That's another one of Chase credit cards' telemarketers, hawking the same credit protection. For reasons I have yet to divine, they don't seem to be paying attention to the DNC request I placed through the other number.

Here's another phone number you may want to be aware of: 800-868-8618. That is Chase's privacy opt-out line. It gets you to the automated system where you can choose Privacy Choice 1 (don't share my information with outside non-financial companies) and/or Privacy Choice 2 (do not share certain listed information within the JP Morgan family of companies). I'd be interested to find out others' experiences with this automated system are. I inputted my account information and last 4 digits of my SSN three times, so I know at least one of those was correct, yet I kept getting an error message that the system did not recognize my information. Fortunately, you may also submit requests in writing to PO Box 260185, Baton Rouge, LA 70826-0185 or use their web form. According to them, it may take six weeks for this to become effective.

I also have solved the mystery of the joint opt-out between Capitol One and Chase at the 800 number. It is actually between Bank One and Chase, which are both owned by JP Morgan.

I got the Chase card because I wanted to have something in my wallet that was not a MasterCard and not owned by CitiBank. Given all the hassle I've gone through to get these people to leave me alone and not try to sell me useless services with a monthly fee that will quickly eat up the small credit line they've supplied, I'm beginning to think I went to the wrong company.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your info about Chase. Thankfully I have not yet started getting calls from 800-316-5569; however, I am still getting multiple calls a day from 800-872-2629. I have spoken with representives of Chase and told them about their harassing phone calls. I also told them about your blogs and all the people who have responded with their own complaints about Chase. They seemed to think that I was joking.

The Chase representatives told me that there is no other way to get them to quit calling except for adding my number to the "Do Not Call List" and waiting 30 days. Well, I'm just not that patient, so I am now working with my cell phone company's security department to get them blocked. I would just cancel my card to stop the annoying calls, but no other credit card companies will give a 21 year old a 5.9% APR.

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm still in high school and not even 18 yet and the 1-888-872-2629 keeps calling me, even during class. I've answered it twice but no one answers back, and it's really getting annoying. Ok well thanks for this information.

Anonymous said...

The 800-316-5569 number has been showing up on my caller ID a minimum of 10 times a day. I generally don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. Out of curiousity I did a google search on the 800 # and Penguins Perspective came up....WOW!!! Thank you for identifying this # for me! When the phone rang at 8:56 pm tonight....I let the telemarketer have an earful! Just wanted to say thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the info. I googled the number and found you. There needs to be a blog devoted solely to busting telemarketers.

Anonymous said...

(last anonymous poster) oh and they are calling me on my cell phone!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, yo. I, too, googled the phone # just for Sn'G, and found out what's up. I, too, am getting calls on my cell, and when I call it to find out what their problem is, it rings once and then disconnects. What is wrong with the DNC list?!

Dahlia's Day said...

I keep getting calls from this number (800)316-5569, as well. It's completely annoying. Calls come in on evenings and even Sundays.