Friday, May 26, 2006

DIY

I can never seem to find a wallet I like, so when I noticed mine starting to come apart at the seams, I cringed at the notion of going billfold shopping. The wallets made for ladies are almost always froofy and sized to fit in a handbag rather than a back pocket. The wallets made for men are usually too large for the pockets on ladies' jeans. None ever have nearly enough card pockets.

Once again, duct tape saves the day. 3M Canada has instructions for making a wallet completely out of duct tape. Took me about an hour to make one with a roll of black duct tape we had around, and having gotten the techniques down, about another hour to create a perfect custom billfold by modifying the instructions. That is still less time than driving down to the department store and hunting down a wallet that is merely adequate. Cheaper, too. Between the two, I used about 70 cents worth of tape, including some clear packing tape for an ID holder.

One final step I would recommend that 3M does not include is to deoderize and de-sticky the finished product. Duct tape does have a bit of an adhesive residue and a duct-tapey smell. You need a plastic baggie and the box of baking soda from your refrigerator. Spoon about a tablespoon of baking soda into the bill compartment, then place the wallet in the baggie with another couple tablespoons of baking soda. Shake it around a little and let it sit in the closed baggie for a half hour or so. Then remove the wallet and brush off the excess baking soda with a paintbrush. The powder sticks to any exposed adhesive and dramatically cuts down the odor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya might be a redneck if.....
.....you make your billfold out of ductape! I never thought the day would come when you were a bigger redneck than me! All you need now is the hound under the front porch and a few trucks on blocks in the yard...I can help you with the truck on blocks, but now the dog you gotta git yerself! ;)