Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What Did You Do This Morning?

I dug a pond--before breakfast.

It's a small pond. Pondlet, really. My morning routine is usually something along the lines of: get dressed, make a cup of coffee that I drink while reading my email and the headlines, then go out and check over the plants in the yard. We put in a lot of fruit this year and rearranged some of the landscaping, so I like to check how everything is doing. The flora inspection was going swimmingly until I got to Marionberry #3. It was under water. The newest cane, about two inches tall now, was barely keeping its tip above the surface. Not good.

It has rained here for just about a week straight. Tomorrow, we're 1/5 of the way toward Noah's Ark. The soil has had just about all it can take, and for some reason, the bit under that marionberry, on one of the highest spots in the yard, was first to give up trying to drain. The rain is coming faster than the soil can find places to put it. Thus, the pondlet and accompanying canal: temporary quarters for excess water until the rain stops. If the rain stops.

No comments: