Saturday, January 27, 2007

So Much for Being Top Mammal

I mentioned earlier that the Rookery is facing a potential feline intelligence issue: Sonja seems to be figuring out the doorknob principle. She has had a breakthrough. Owing to a recent spate of issues with making it to the litterbox, she was confined to the spare room last night while the humans slept. This morning, I woke up to a little black and white kitty face staring at me from a partially open door. Emp. Peng. had not opened it for her, and I made sure that the door was latched when I put her in so the other cats couldn't push it open from the hallway side. This leads to the inescapable conclusion that she finally figured out how to turn the knob and pull at the same time. She only had it open about an inch and a half, but it can't be long now until she figures out how to nudge the door open enough to let herself out.

Since I know some of you will worry, I should mention that the exterior doors do not have the lever-style knobs she can grab, and are heavier than the bedroom door. Even if Sonja had the inclination to leave the house, which she certainly does not, she would not be able to use this trick on any of the doors leading to the Great Outdoors.

No comments: