Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Today's Lessons

I spent much of today at a leadership/motivation seminar, where I learned three things:

1. Football apparently is rife with lessons in motivation, thus providing me with yet another reason I won't watch football.

2. I'm back to having respect for Colin Powell. Hearing him was one of the reasons I sat through the blatant pitch for $6,000 stock-timing software that paid for the good parts of the seminar. His talk on what leadership means--complete with what may or may not have been veiled references to a decided lack thereof in his former boss when he was Secretary of State--had an interesting take on the subject.

3. White middle-managers from the upper midwest should not, I repeat should not "put your hands in the air and wave them like you just don't care." That's not being motivated. That's looking like an idiot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, you seem sufficiently self-motivated to be able to [i]give[/i] such lessons.

Nimrod

Anonymous said...

I must agree with Nimrod, except for one thought: Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
Ann O.