Monday, December 17, 2007

Just how dumb do shoe saleswomen think I am?

Thanks in part to my new daily walking regimen (more on that some other time), I found myself in need of new daily-wear shoes. Being as I am taller than average, I have correspondingly larger-than-average feet. Being as I am of Swedish heritage, those larger-than-average feet can be called "boat-like." Both of those add up to it being easier for me to find sneakers in the men's department, but that is neither here nor there in this instance. In short order, I had found a pair to replace my worn out ones, and headed to the checkout counter. The saleswoman rang up my purchase, and I swear, actually said, "That will be $24.99. Are you sure that will be all? If you spend $35, you can get $7 off."

Let's gloss over for a moment, as my brain did, the fact that I had actually managed to find a comfortable and not entirely ugly pair of sneakers in under 5 minutes and had settled on purchasing them in almost record time. In fact, my brain was so busy glossing over that tidbit that it failed to catch the next thought, which actually made it out of my mouth, "Spend $10 more to get $7 off? The math just doesn't add up there."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would have for her if she is working on commission, though. Remember, most of the rest of the world is not nearly as intelligent as you are. A canned up-sale attempt deserves a snappy come-back! Good for you for letting it "slip." -Ann Onymous

Anonymous said...

Hey, I work commission! Even I wouldn't have even attempted to make that kind of deal. --Emp. Peng.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Emperor Penguin, to have offended you. I know you wouldn't, but not everybody is as concerned for others! Some are just out for their own. Also, I bet you don't use canned up-sale lines. -Ann O.