Friday, January 04, 2008

A Penguin Perspectives First

After four years and a few months, Penguin Perspectives is celebrating its first piece of comment spam in Portuguese! Whenever I need to name a random non-English language (happens more often than one might think), I fall back on Portuguese. Imagine my surprise when I found a comment in the Unmoderated Comments section that began, " Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre..." The remainder of the message encourages visiting a website, blah, blah. You know the drill. I'm not posting the comment--Portuguese or not, it's still comment spam and I'm not having that here--so if you wanted to make loads of money merely by connecting to the internet...sorry.

Tip of the beak to Babel Fish for providing a translation of both the comment and the page it spammed for so I could double-check my suspicions about the message's spamminess. Not that one needs to do too much checking when a blog written in English gets comments not in English containing a URL. While I can generally recognize a block of written Portuguese, I do not speak it...not even my Four Vital Phrases To Know In Any Language.

No comments: