Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It's not a New Year's Resolution

We are about to slam headlong into the time of year to make New Year's resolutions. I don't particularly like those, since they are too dang easy to break. I prefer setting a few goals and pasting them next to the bathroom mirror where they smack me in the face a few times a day.

The latest addition to my Great Bathroom Wall List of Goals (replacing "have a clean dental checkup) is--drumroll please--I'm going to run a 12-minute mile.

Those of you who were not mocked mercilessly in gym class might not see that as a lofty goal. Then there will be those of you who have met me. Physical fitness is not my strong suit. Never has been. Perhaps one of the reasons I am attracted to the penguins is we are roughly the same shape, except that I have individual fingers, no tail feathers, and external knees.

My quest for the 12-minute mile started over the weekend with a baseline time of 17:40. I manged to make 16:20 today, but the endurance was just not there to finish out a 30-minute treadmill session.

I'll be posting my progress as it happens, between penguin news and everything. Stay tuned for that and my adventures with Tux. Yup, I'm writing to you from a Linux machine.

No comments: