Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Putting the "service" back in "customer service"

I have found an island of reprieve in this era of manufacturers who live by the phrase, "No user serviceable parts inside," and back it up with torx screws just to make sure we won't try to fix something when it breaks. This island is the Genie Company, who unfortunately only seem to manufacture garage door openers, giving me scant opportunity to support them by buying many things from them.

Two days ago, my garage door opener crapped out, and after an unsuccessful attempt at removing the outer casing with a pair of needlenose pliers, I called Genie's customer service line to find out what sort of implement they might recommend for the task. The very helpful lady on the other end apologized for not being able to tell me exactly what size nut driver I needed to procure, and proceeded to explain that, once I got the outer casing off, there would be three more identical fasteners that remove the gear box, and if I looked in there, odds were I would find a gear that had cracked. She explained that it was about a $5 part, and even gave me contact information for a local purveyor of the necessary part, adding that, if for some reason they did not have it, I could order the part directly from Genie.

This in itself would have been above and beyond what I have come to expect from customer service, but she went through all that after I told her not to bother looking in the customer database, as I had never purchased anything from them; the garage door opener came with the house. It's one thing for a company to do that for a customer, and quite another to do it for someone who just sort of fell into possessing one of their products.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, well I wish that there WAS same way of supporting Genie, but not having a house, let alone a garage, I'm at a loss!

Now, if they ever make a comic book, hey, I'm there!

Anonymous said...

Don't let Torx screws put you off.
Sets of Torx bits are available cheaply from places like $ shops in strip malls, surely.

Nimrod