Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's that time of year again

So help me, if I hear or read about "an extra hour of daylight" on Halloween one more time...

We've got 10 1/2 hours of daylight today (at least at my latitude), and it will be 10 1/2 hours of daylight no matter how you slice it. The fact that you're awake to see it does not mean that it wasn't there before.

And while we're at it, if we're really serious about messing with the clocks to save energy, we'd be skewing the available daylight as late into the evening hours as possible around this time of year. Arranging the clocks so the sun sets around 11 p.m. would be ideal. That way, we cut back on the number of hours people have those ginormous, energy-hogging Christmas light displays lit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on Sister! Now how do we get them to quit screwing with the stupid clocks? Really, now they move it around on the calender too! When will people wake up and realize the sun rises and sets dispite what is displayed on the clock? By the way, are you doing the novel thing again next month? Love ya, Sis.

Janet said...

Not doing the novel thing. I decided that I did that twice, both times finished successfully but came out with nothing remotely publishable. This year, I'm trying my own Bradbury Challenge, writing one complete short story a week for the month. I have the first one done (started before November, but this is only a part-November week). Now I need to get an idea for the second.