Saturday, February 23, 2008

Political Musing, Part II

We waited two hours in penguin-friendly temperatures, working our way through a line that snaked completely around the block and almost back to the building entrance again, to get in to the Barack Obama rally. The line three times longer than the event you are in line for is similar to Comic-Con, but Comic-Con has costumed babes and heat, two things in short supply in Akron in February. T-shirt vendors and petition mongers plied the line, although I think the smart money would have been on a Barack-accino concession. By the time we got (back) to the entrance, I would have sat through a presentation for Mosquito Acres Timeshares and Free-Range Gator Ranch if that was what it took to get out of the cold. I might have even welcomed the kind of hot air I'm used to getting when politicians speak (when you can't feel your face, heat is heat).

We got neither. He cracked jokes. He detailed his policies. He inspired. Those are three things I am not accustomed to politicians doing at all, let alone all at once. I've laughed at politicians plenty, but this is the first time I've laughed with one.

As Teal'c says in the pilot episode of Stargate SG-1, "Many have said that. You are the first I believe could do it." We hear the message of change every 4 years. He is the first I believe could do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I trust your judgement. If you say he's good, he must be.

Nimrod