Thursday, June 05, 2008

Maybe It's the Lips?

I may be something of a city girl, inasmuch as I prefer to vacation in facilities where the walls are made of wall, but I am somewhat sanguine in the ways of the meat. While I have never personally slaughtered a chicken, I know where McNuggets come from. Bad example. I don't think anyone, including Ray Kroc, knows where McNuggets come from. Let's just say that I am under no delusions that boneless, skinless chicken breasts sprout in little styrofoam trays at the supermarket. While I promised Emp. Peng. that the Rookery would be a "no livestock" zone (the resident cat lumps often straining the definition of "live," let alone "stock"), I have no compunction about paying someone else to raise my livestock for me. No omnivore does, but in my case, I pay the person directly.

The farmer I get my beef from is branching out into poultry. Yesterday I put dibs on 4 chickens that Kathy tells me will be free range if they ever get up the bird cajones to leave the barn. As part of the dibs-calling process, Kathy walked me through the per-chicken costs ($1.75 to slaughter and de-entrail them, 10 cents for whatever "De-necking" means, etc.). Since these will be custom slaughtered per pre-order, I have options about whether I want my birds whole, split, quartered, or the seven-piece cut.

Hold the phone. Seven pieces? Chickens, like most birds, mastered bilateral symmetry ages ago. Draw a line down the middle of a chicken, and you end up with one of everything on each side. That should leave an even number of chicken parts. We can't figure out what that seventh piece is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The back is not always split, that is piece #7.
That is how we pieced ours last year. I personally keep some whole for roasting and piece some for BBQ.

Note of advice: don't go around on butcher day...your stomach would invent gymnastic maneuvers.

~PengSis

Anonymous said...

I think you get a bag of entrails for the cats :-)

Nimrod

Janet said...

Thanks, PengSis. I knew that She Who Does Not Outsource Omnivorous Tendencies would know the answer.

Anonymous said...

Well there are the Chicken McNuggets portion, Chicken McTenders portion, the Campbel's soup part, Campbel's Select soup part, the Hooter's hotwings part, the Meow Mix portion, and finally the pretty boneless, skinless breast portion at the market!

-Anne Onymous ;)