Monday, June 21, 2004

Close Doesn't Cut It

My affinity for puzzles probably has a lot to do with the 13 inch black and white TV we had for most of my formative years. It received channels 2-13 (and UHF if you went to the second knob), so I didn't watch as much TV as my cable-connected counterparts. I spent a lot of that time reading the World Book Encyclopedia and doing puzzles of just about any kind. I think my predilection for crosswords is genetic. My grandparents do them, and I've heard rumors that my great grandpa, with his third grade education, could do the New York Times crossword in pen.

Naturally, I couldn't resist entering The World's Hardest Crossword Puzzle Contest. The entry requirement: complete the Entry Puzzle, with clues such as:
33 Across: Downs a Sub (4 letters) [eats]
56 Across: It might be filed (4 letters) [nail]

Out of 195 letters to be filled in, I missed one. I put "rallies" instead of "rallies" when for the clue "came from behind."

Which brings me to the answer to 45 Across: Duh.

No comments: