Friday, April 18, 2008

Stop Me Before I Plant Again!

It started innocently enough. I just wanted to replace a plum tree that is turning out to be more trouble than it is worth. A quick jaunt through my favorite online nursery came up with a suitable replacement plum, and a "$50 off any order of $25 or more" promo. Since my tree was $27.50, it would actually save me a couple of bucks to add $22.50 more to my cart.

This is dangerous. A bull in a china shop has nothing on a Pengy let loose in the nursery catalog with $22.50, especially since the unplantable area out back is getting plowed some time in the next couple of weeks, leaving me with a quarter acre of fresh ground to play with. OK, let me revise my previous statement. A bull in a china shop has nothing on a Pengy let loose in the nursery catalog with $22.50 and a quarter acre of good south exposure to fill up. In addition to the tree I was planning on getting, I am now expecting an elderberry bush and two purple trilliums.

For those playing along with the home game, that brings The Rookery's orchard up to:
3 apple trees
2 sweet cherries
1 sour cherry
1 peach
2 plums (the bad one is getting a reprieve until I decide whether to cut it down entirely)
1 elderberry
3 grapevines
3 blueberries
3 types of blackberries (~10 plants)
3 types of raspberries (~6 plants)
7 pots of strawberries, with two in-ground patches planned for installation next year

That is just the fruits. Let's not get started on the vegetables.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was for Home Ec, not starting your own nursery!

Nimrod

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Good Heavens! Mrs. I-Hate-The-Outdoors has gone mad! Are we going to have to intervene with a 12 step program or take away your keys and catalogs? Just kidding, so glad you are getting back to basics! I also appreciate when you overdo the sale on strawberries!

~PengSis