Saturday, April 26, 2008

Talk About CYA

The following is an actual excerpt of the End User License Agreement for the 30-day free trial of Apple's iWork software that I downloaded this morning (caps in the original):
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
First, let me say that, should I ever be on life support, I sure as heck hope that I'm not being kept alive by a 30 day free trial of ANYTHING. If I am, I would rather it be Apple than a Microsoft product, though. Nobody wants a whole new, literal, meaning to Blue Screen Of Death. I would also hope our nuclear facilities and air traffic control would have sprung for the full install version of any program that is keeping reactors from melting down or planes from colliding midair. And while I am not an expert in aircraft navigation, if presentation software plays a key role in getting me from Point A to Point B, I may have to reconsider air travel entirely. It could explain all the lost luggage, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, there, Pengy, with regard to free trial software. However, I have no experience of that furnished for a Macintosh.

Nimrod