Sunday, February 29, 2004

Ask and Ye Shall Receive the Vote

This article in the New York Times recounts how much most of the Democratic candidates have spent to get each vote they have received so far (divide the total campaign dollars spent by the number of votes received). Inexplicably, the New York Times did not include the two men currently in what everyone is calling a two-man race: John Kerry and John Edwards. The results:

Dick Gephardt: $600 ($1,300 if you only count votes when he was actually in the race)
Joe Lieberman: $200
Howard Dean: $100
Dennis Kucinich: $80
Wesley Clark: $60
Al Sharpton: $7

These figures are particularly disturbing in light of the fact that I have sent letters to Kerry, Edwards, Dean and Clark asking them to explain why I should vote for them. So far, only one reply has come in out of four, and not from anyone currently still seeking the nomination.

My vote can be bought for a first-class postage stamp. All a candidate needs to do to get my vote is send me a reply. I'll accept a form letter, but at least acknowledge that you want my vote! So far, the only candidate who has spent the 37 cents to buy my allegiance is Howard Dean, and he's since dropped out of the race, leaving me unsure as to whether he actually wants me to vote for him or not. Is 37 cents really that much of a financial burden to the campaign when the lowest-spender in the field is shelling out almost 19 times that per vote? Edwards and Kerry have one more postal delivery day to buy me off, since I'm not sure I will check my mail before heading to the polling place Tuesday. I have my preferences between the two, but I'm still willing to vote for the one who personally asks me to vote for him. All they have to do is ask me directly for my vote. I'll say yes, but they have to ask.

No comments: