Saturday, February 28, 2004

BS-ing for the BFA...

My apologies for the lack of blogging last night. First of all, it was a King George III day: nothing of interest happened. However, the primary reason for sparse posts is that I have a paper due on Wednesday and until my first draft is done, most of my creative energies will be focused on writing 6 pages of BS on the theme of nostalgia in Ken Kesey's novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the Simon and Garfunkel album Bookends, or as I pitched the topic to my professor, "the impossible quest for conditions in the past that no longer exist." So far, I've managed to eat up one full page with theories of time travel and how the laws of physics allow for time travel into the future, but the space-time continuum does not have a rewind button, which only seems to intesify humanity's desire to turn back the clock. Now, I just need 4-1/2 pages of picking the book and CD apart to lead up to my conclusion involving one of Arthur C. Clarke's latest novels, which deals with the social impact of time travel when it allows people to look into what the past is really like.

The entire paper is an exercise in the art of bullshit, but oddly appropriate for a creative writing degree. I'll try to post a little even before it is done, but please bear with me if the writing quality isn't up to what you've come to expect from Penguin Perspectives. The creative juices are focused on the first of two papers that are the last things standing between me and my Bachelor's degree (the BFA of the subject line).

In the meantime, check back for Elie's guest blogging. He will be picking up the slack for me for a day or two.

No comments: