Wednesday, November 03, 2004

My Reaction

I've been searching for a word all day and I think I finally found it. I'm stunned. Cattle-on-the-way-to-the-Big-Mac-factory stunned. I've been wrong in elections before, but never this wrong. As one of the instructors at work today pondered, "Am I really that far out of mainstream?"

I just don't get it. How could this happen? Really, if any of you out there can explain why an actual honest-to-God majority of people decided to vote for George W. Bush, I'm ready to listen. He's the President of my country and I accept him as such, but I would really appreciate some help understanding what about that man and his policies makes 51% of the electorate want him to be in charge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad says "they are as freaking nuts as anyone who actually WANTS to be president of this country"

Anonymous said...

The reason is simple for this vote: Bush banged his bible better, louder, and not bread and butter items that can effect your daily livelyhood.

Anonymous said...

The reason? Quite simply, we are living in a Culture of Nastiness, where belief outweighs fact, lying, cheating and corporate greed is a way of life. Entertainment choices glorify the vile while kindheartedness is seen to be aweakness that needs stamping out.

Right now I am so ashamed of my fellow Americans that I would flee our pathetic nation if I ween't dead broke. We haven't been this divided as a people since the Civil War - or should I say The First Civil War, because I'm not liking the current trends of hatred and contempt.

I had a twelve-year old girl in my store the other day, who looked at the cardboard Kerry Standee (we carry Bush too, and set them up left-right) and punched it, saying "I hate Kerry, I wish I could kill him." I lectured her on tolerance, a futile gesture at best. I wish no harm of Bush or anyone else this side of Bin Laden, and am sickened by how many Bush supporters are so damned NASTY!!!

Our good nation is spiraling down the world's loo, and there's nothing we can do.

God I'm depressed.

It's funny, I don't consider myself either a Liberal or a Democrat, I've always voted my conscience, and I was shocked to the bone to discover how few of my countrymen even have one. I've always said we need both sides, a balance, a dialogue of opposing viewpoints, the power of hawks and the heart of doves, but damn, we are about as unbalanced (sic) a nation as we could get.

-Larry