Wednesday, May 04, 2005

More News

An op-ed in the Christian Science Monitor asserts that Pell Grant allotments need to be increased, as does campaigns to make students more aware of them.

Having spent some time working in financial aid, and feeling more free to talk about my experiences now that I no longer am, I can say that, in my experience, lack of knowledge of the Pell Grant program's existence was not a problem. Students are aware of Pell Grants. I don't want to say they are too aware of them, but if the government is going to ramp up award amounts and publicity campaigns, they should really work on emphasizing that these are to assist the neediest students, not to pay the entire educational cost for anyone who fills out the application. Students are not necessarily underinformed, but many are misinformed.

No comments: