Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

It's that time of the biennium again. I just returned from voting at my local Catholic school, which seems to consider mugging voters at the entrance as a major component of their duties as hosts of the polling place. Just once, I would love to exercise my right to vote without having to pass the strategically placed eighth grade class trip bake sale and the accompanying prepubes trying to shake me down for a donation.

Since I live in Ohio, it was a given that I would be voting on a Diebold touch screen machine. Even so, it appeared to register all my votes properly, including the ones that ran counter to Diebold corporate interests. The precinct had managed to have paper verification printers appended to them. The receipt printers were an obvious afterthought, sprouting like a malignant growth from the side of the sleek machines, and they were secured using one of those locks that can be picked with a ballpoint pen. Still, I'm calling that better than nothing.

No comments: