Monday, November 27, 2006

Just beak my brains out now

I'm just beating my head on a glacier here. Coca-Cola has launched their holiday advertising campaign--you know, the time of year they break out the cute animated polar bears swilling cola. This year, they have made a new addition: cute, cola-swilling penguins giving the polar bears their Cokes.

For the last time: Polar bears live exclusively in the northern hemisphere. Penguins live exclusively in the southern hemisphere. On a bad day, they might get within 8,000 miles of each other's habitat. Yeah, the arctic and the antarctic are both cold. The Australian outback and the Arabian peninsula are both deserts, and advertising idiots manage to avoid the urge to mix kangaroos and Bedouins.

Now that I have that out of my craw, I should say I am all in favor of penguin advertising. I'm just saying, ditch the polar bears. Penguins are cuter. Penguins are even more versatile than comely women in bikinis when it comes to advertising. I don't recall seeing any human babes in the Tamiflu ads.

No comments: