Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Eco-modding the Rookery

I tried out my new solar-powered, carbon-neutral clothes dryer today. My foremothers may know it as a clothesline. The house came with the steel T-posts, but I'd only recently gotten around to stringing up lines on them. Except for a brief episode of chasing my shorts across the grass, I think the solar powered dryer worked out remarkably well. I'm hoping that, with experience, I'll get faster at it. The first few t-shirts were dry by the time I got the socks up. If my foremothers took as long to hang their washing out as I did today, it's a wonder I have any more recent generations of foremothers.

As a side note, I think I figured out where my laundromat got the idea of combining laundry and tanning facilities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother told me it was not direct solar power which dried the washing, but the wind - that which took your shorts off.
The sun, however, does the bleaching and the disinfecting.

Nimrod

Anonymous said...

Your great foremother called the tan achieved by actual working outside an "honest tan" as opposed to the one at the laundry/tanning facility.