Thursday, July 26, 2007

Preview Night Con Blogging

We're at Comic Con International in San Diego this weekend. Picture cramming the entire population of three good-sized towns into one convention center, and you're getting close. At least three quarters of the 123,000 con attendees have as their sole convention-going purpose to obtain as many freebies as possible. Me, I'm a little more varied in my con interest. Preview night is a three hour rush to see as much of the exhibit hall as possible (by way of comparison, we waited in line for three hours, spanning two buildings, to get into this three hour spree). Some of the highlights:

  1. Procuring a free Stargate SG-1 t-shirt within the first two minutes of entering the hall
  2. Buying a USB hub cleverly disguised as a TARDIS. It has sound effects.
  3. Getting strapped into a corset over my Groo t-shirt
  4. Meeting Q (John De Lancie). I almost didn't recognize him. He has great hair people on set. They apparently did not come with him.
  5. Asking the science officer of the Starship Voyager if he would like some tape to hold together the booth where he and the aforementioned omnipotent Q were signing autographs.
Yes, I will be posting a photo of item 3 as soon as we get home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You carry duct tape?

Nimrod

Janet said...

Not on me at the con. My backpack contains the map, event guide, sketchbook, snacks, water bottle, deodorant and the checkbook, plus assorted goodies picked up along the way. I was just relaying a message from the booth across the aisle.