Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Amusing Plant Picture of the Day

This has been my first year of serious, in-the-ground vegetable gardening, and I've learned a few things. One, that no matter what the seed packet says about "days to harvest," vegetables will be ripe whenever they darned well please, so don't plan on them being ready at any particular time. Two, that vegetables are very good at hiding on the plants. Particularly if that plant is in a vine formation. For example:
Possible you may recognize the green striped thing as a watermelon. For scale, the melon is about a foot in diameter, to the extent that it has a diameter. It's hard to tell, what with the melon wedged between the generator, the concrete pad the generator sits on, and part of the generator's natural gas feed pipe and all. I've been checking my veggie patch daily, and this is the first I've seen of this guy. I had to cut it into three pieces to get it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you do not check your generator daily. Why plant so close to it? You have plenty of ground there.

Nimrod