Thursday, July 29, 2004

More Con Reporting: The Peanuts Incident

On Sunday, I happened across the Peanuts booth while Jeannie Schulz was signing.  She does the appearances now, and graciously gave me a moment of her time even though I did not have anything for her to sign.  At the various comic cons I’ve been to, I’ve met quite a few famous people, but I’ve never been choked up talking to any of them like I was with Mrs. Schulz—then again, none of them have been representatives of childhood institutions.  I told her about how, when I was about 5-7 years old give or take, my big sister used to read some of the Peanuts strips to me because, though I could read most of the funny pages, whenever Spike made an appearance in Peanuts, Spike wrote in cursive.  She looked shocked.  Charles Schulz drew Peanuts for 50 years, and until just that moment, no one realized that little kids don’t know how to read cursive.  She seemed so horrified.  I shouldn’t have said anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never apologize for the truth, or for stating a truism, even if it unintentially shocks and dismays someone. To be honest, I would hazard a guess that Jeannie Schultz would agree with me that she (and her late hubbie) would rather find out too late than never at all.

(Spike Rocks)

Larry S. aka mrgrooism