Friday, July 30, 2004

Still More Con Reporting: The Grooism

And now for my new Most Embarassing Convention Moment:

While walking the con floor Sunday, I glanced over to my right just in time to see something fall out of the backpack of a person waiting in a line.  Trying to be helpful, I picked the trinket up, tapped the shoulder under the long hair, and as politely as possible said, “Miss, I think you dropped this.”

It was a guy.

Mortification would be an understatement.  I wanted nothing more than to have the earth open up under my feet and swallow me whole right there in the middle of the San Diego Convention Center.  All the earthquakes in southern California, and never one when you need it.  At least the gentleman was very nice about my faux pas and acknowledged that it’s an honest mistake looking at him from the back. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee heeee, too good! I've not only done that, but in early high school, sporting somewhat longish hair, I was on the receiving end of it, too. It was funnier than it was humiliating, and I guess this guy probably was on the same page, since he apparently was cool about it. I'm sure he gets it all the time.