Friday, October 15, 2004

Bit o' this and that

Just when I start running Google ads, Slate runs an article about how the political campaigns could take advantage of them.

Google ads work on targeted keywords. Ads that Google places here are (supposedly) related to the content of the site. For instance, I've been writing a lot about the upcoming election, and lo and behold, one of the ads over there is for The Washington Post's election coverage (your ads may vary). The ad guys over at the Post think that if you're getting your election news from me, maybe you'd like to check theirs out.

Speaking of the WP, I've been meaning to plug www.bugmenot.com. If you don't like registering for websites just to read their content, this is the site for you. All you do is go to www.bugmenot.com, type in the URL of the site you want to visit, and they show a valid username and password that some nice person somewhere in cyberspace has decided to share. It's great for people worried about their Internet privacy. I use it because it cuts down on the number of usernames and passwords I have to remember, particularly for websites I don't read regularly.

No comments: