Sunday, October 31, 2004

Since You've Been Nice

About a month ago, Elie said I would tell you about his record collection someday if you were really nice. Well, of course you are all always very nice, so here goes.

His record collection is heavy. Very heavy. I don't know how many records he owns, but if anyone can estimate how many LPs you can make from eight metric tons of vinyl, you're probably close. That doesn't count the 45's or the 78's. Actually, the 78's are the heavy suckers, being as how they're glass and all, but there are fewer of them. Mercifully, the record collection at least includes two record players, one of which even works. I would probably have objected to carting that many records across four time zones if he didn't occasionally play them.

I've moved the entire collection four times. Last move, we got smart and hired people to do all the heavy lifting. It's no more expensive than putting my spine back together.

Actually, it's a very impressive collection. I'm not aquainted with the full catalog, but it does include a lot of vintage classical and jazz. Also one of my favorite recordings ever set to vinyl, Switched on Bach. Aaah, the glory days of the Moog synthesizer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys don't fret over her plight. She married a musician, she knew what she was getting in to. She knew the risks.

Could've been worse, though. I could have gone into gynecology and then developed a habit of taking my work home with me.

Elie