Thursday, October 21, 2004

What I'm Doing Next Month

November is National Novel Writing Month. It sounds like one of those phony holidays, like National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day, but NatNoWriMo is more of a challenge. The premise: write an entire 50,000-word novel between 12 a.m. November 1 and 11:59 p.m. November 30.

I'm going to do it.

I just signed up. I fully intend to finish all 50,000 words, too. By my count, that comes out to 1667 words per day. I'll be posting my progress here throughout November so you all can get on my butt if I'm slipping behind. If things go really well and you all are interested, I'll even post a few excerpts.

The story is still bouncing around my head in its nascent stages, so it's hard to explain. As things get worked out a little more, I'll post a plotline. At the moment, all I can say is that it has something to do with brain drain, commercial space flight, social stratification, terriforming, and interplanetary colonization. Trust me, it should be a lot more exciting when I get characters. No, I don't have a title yet.

I'll be maintaining some semblance of my regular blog commentary for November, but it will probably be a bit shorter as more of my writing time goes to my novel. In the interim, please keep on me to get it done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise to get on your butt all month about it. In fact, I'll be downright militant about it [Insert Maniacal Laughter Here].

--The Butt Getter-Onner.

Anonymous said...

Okay dammit, I signed up too! When I consider how much my overloaded work schedule has kept me from maintaining something as basic as a BLOG, I seriously doubt I'll ever finish the damned thing, but I intend to give it a whirl. I've always wanted to do NatNoWriMo, so sleep be damned and overworking during the retail hell of christmas be damned, I'm going for it!

I do NOT intend to bust a brain cell planning it out BEFORE November 1, I'm going to do this strictly from 1-30! Wherever I go from there, well, there ya go!

Larry "mrgrooism" Steller

Anonymous said...

Has it occured to y'all that NatNoWriMo could be construed in someone's head (granted probably only mine) to National Write No More? I thoroughly believe that you not writing anymore would take an act of God though. So good luck with the No of the Mo.