Saturday, October 30, 2004

Duck Hunt

Let all 8-bit animated ducks beware: you're going down. I may be 17 years late, but I've discovered Nintendo's Duck Hunt, which those of you who were playing video games in 1987 may remember as the game that came with the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It's a simple, yet cathartic, concept. You have a light gun that you aim at the TV. Ducks fly up. You shoot. Ducks die.

It only took three levels worth of ducks before I started wondering how the gun knew I hit the duck. Fortunately, this is the age of the internet and a website called Straight Dope explains how you shoot the ducks with the light gun. The secret: the gun doesn't shoot at the TV. The TV shoots at the gun. Sneaky, no?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there was a display at the mall on a video game system. Since I had already played virtually every game on the system, I thought I'd let Janet have a crack at it. So I picked up the light gun and selected duck hunt for her. Little did I know she'd have an instant addiction to it. Who said girls don't play video games!
Elie