Monday, January 03, 2005

Crochet Chaos

My grandmother taught me to crochet starting, at my recollection, when I was about 5 or 6. She can do wonders with a skein of yarn. I still have an afghan, a pillow doll, and (I'm not making this up) a purse that folds out into a bassinet for a kewpie doll, complete with matching doll afghan, all of which she lovingly crocheted by hand. This is even more impressive when you consider that my grandmother has 10 grandchildren and what she made for me, she made nine more times over for my cousins.

I never picked up nearly that much skill with a crochet hook. I recall attempting a potholder that turned out to be less square-shaped and more resembling an irregular trapezoid with a lopsided rectangle attached. I can make hollow balls suitable for cat toys, but that's about as far as it goes. While many things I try to crochet tend to double as visual aids for discussions of entropy, they're nothing compared to Dr. Hinke Osinga's crochet pattern modeling actual chaos, created by a computer as an inadvertent byproduct of her studies of a set of math equations describing natural chaotic systems.

No comments: