Thursday, January 06, 2005

Objection Overruled, but Heard

Well, the challenge to Ohio's Presidential vote managed to go forward. Nothing changed, and the vote was certified, but at least the Congress was forced to go through the motions of pretending to acknowledge that a few things might have gone awry with our wonderful democracy. Senator Barbara Boxer of California ended up being the one who allowed the objection to be heard. The Reuters story is here.

I never really expected either of the Ohio senators, the ones I wrote to last night, to be the ones who stood up to support the objections. Most of the time I write to my legislators, I do it knowing full well they're not going to do what I want. In this political climate, getting a legislator to change an established position on an issue falls on the difficulty meter somewhere near splitting the atom with a ginsu knife. Since these legislators will not likely change their minds, it sometimes feels good to remind them their constituents have a variety of positions. At the very least, it makes me feel better.

1 comment:

Naked Girls said...

dont you wanna help us achieve the googlebomb?