Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Irrelevant Gloating

Looks like I was right. We're watching the director's commentaries on the original Star Wars trilogies, and I was right. In this entry, I postulated that Darth Vader does not kill Obi-Wan Kenobi at the end of Star Wars: A New Hope, and that the reason Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anaken disappear while other Jedi do not is that Obi-Wan and company don't actually die. Rather, they choose that moment to become one with the Force. In the audio commentaries to A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas makes a point of saying that Obi-Wan does not die--going so far as to backpedal and correct himself when he talks about "Obi-Wan's death"--and he mentions that a theme in the prequel trilogy deals with ascending to the Force. I'll add to my theory that Qui-Gon can be heard but not seen after his death because, though he was killed in battle, much is made that Qui-Gon is more in tune with the Living Force than most other Jedi, so my guess is he is sort of partially ascendant even before he dies.

So there. I was right. So the Jedi disappearing thing is not one of the vital questions of human existence, but nonetheless, I got it right. In four and a half more months when Revenge of the Sith comes out, everyone is going to know, so I don't have much more time to revel in having figured it out myself before everyone else knows what I know now.

1 comment:

Naked Girls said...

sorry for off topic comment. please read my last post and help!