Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Stupid Telemarketer Tricks

We're on the Do Not Call list, but that doesn't apply when I have a "business relationship" with the telemarketer, which means I get periodic rashes of phone calls from my credit card companies wanting to sign me up for this that and the other. They are very persistent and even when I don't answer the phone, the ringing breaks my train of thought. I finally decided today that the only way to get 888-872-2629 to quit calling me four times a day was to answer the phone and blow them off. The person on the other end--who could not have been calling from a center in Bangladesh because her English grammar wasn't that good--wanted to let me know of "a few benefits that the company is offering cardholders now that were not available when you got the card, and we just need to confirm your address and the spelling of your name." How stupid do they think I am? They know my name and address. The credit card company sends me a bill every month and reports my every sneeze to the credit bureaus. You don't just loan people money without some idea of where to look for them to get it back

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats annoying i know. sometimes they call and say " we are going to sell you anything"!!! thats the trick!

Anonymous said...

I just got a call from the same number 888-872-2629 and they told me that if I had up to $50 of groceries charges on my card, they would make it so I wouldn't have to pay for a month. Then they said they would relieve me of any balances up to $2500. They asked for a confirmation of my address too. DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE INFORMATION. I wasn't born yesterday, someone on the phone with an Indian accent is not just going to give me $2500 for confirming my address. You're right, the credit card companies already have your address, why would they need you to confirm it?

Anonymous said...

I've been getting these calls for months, usually one per day, always the same Chinese-sounding guy. I never answer, so he always gets my machine. You'd think after a month or so, he'd get the hint.

Anonymous said...

Just got a call today, my first from this number. I sure hope it doesnt continue, anyway to find out whose number this is? Maybe reverse lookup?? Anyways anyone had any luck getting rid of them?

Anonymous said...

I get calls from the 888-872-2629 number fairly often too. I'm on the no call list as well. The really crazy thing is that whenever I do answer the phone they just hang up. (I feel like George Costanza on Seinfeld when the house cleaning cult won't try and recruit him--you'd think these people would put forth a little effort and at least say something to try and swindle me rather than just calling and hanging up! heheh) I did do a call trace today in hopes that that might help but I'm not optimistic. The cops don't really care about such things and even if they did I guess it's doubtful they can do anything if it's coming from outside the US anyway. I'm wondering if call block would do any good or if they'd just use another number or somesuch. Aren't people annoying?!