Monday, June 27, 2005

Slender Walk Tip

As some of you already know, I've gone to the Other Side and am now making phone calls. I'd like to clarify that I am not a telemarketer or a solicitor of any kind. I make appointments for someone else to meet with people. Sure, this distinction is lost on a lot of people when they answer the phone. Also, I rarely cold-call. Most of the people I call have requested some information from the company.

Which brings me to my point for the day. If you initiate contact with a business to get information about their products or services, just assume that they intend to use any information you give them. Most businesses have neither the time nor the inclination to collect your contact information just for the sheer joy they get from having it. If you give them your address, assume you will be put on their mailing list. If you provide a phone number, assume they will give you a follow up call. If you give an email address, expect an email or two from them. In short, if you do not want people to call you, don't give them your phone number. Just because there is a line for something, that does not mean that you have to put something on that line.

Okay. Rant over.

No comments: