Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Lightning strikes

I purchase much of my casual wardrobe at comic/sci-fi conventions, so several of my t-shirts have graphics or sayings that baffle people not up on the popular culture. While none are outright obscene--they don't contain explicit images or any of the 7 Words You Can't Say on TV or a .us Website--a couple might be mildly offensive to people who don't get the TV or movie reference. For instance, the one I wore today implies breaking at least one of the Ten Commandments. It's actually a line (fully attributed on the shirt) from Stargate SG-1. I don't wear this one around churches.

So there I was buying undergarments at JC Penney's this afternoon. The sales clerk, a girl probably no older than 18 or so, had been immersed in folding slacks until I sidled up to the counter. As I slid the merchandise toward her, she started looking up while she robotically said "Did you find everything al--" Midword, she froze with her eyes at bosom level and took a couple second pause before she managed to choke out the rest of the sentence. That was probably the most amusing transaction I have ever had at a department store, watching her try to smile and maintain eye contact, all the while staring at my chest like it was a 15-car pileup. I think she was set to dodge the lightning bolt at any moment.

No comments: