Saturday, November 01, 2003

What Tech Support?

I'll probably not be posting much until Wednesday. The cable company, who supplies our supposedly solid internet connection, has managed to somehow completely remove internet access from our PC instead of just making the cable modem stop bumping us off the internet. I am stuck on the backup computer with the backup dialup internet access until a technician can come out to see what exactly happened while I was diligently following the click-by-click instructions of the tech support people, which most likely will be Wednesday. At least they kindly decided not to charge me to have a guy come out to fix what they did.



However, until I can get back on and post the long, painful saga of my encounter with the Customer Service technicians, let me leave you with this actual exchange that happened with the first of four (so far) people I have talked to at the cable company. Let me set up for you that our PC is right next to the kitchen, and Elie was boiling a pot of water while I was on the phone with tech support.



ME: (turning to see foot-tall flames eminating from under a frying pan on the stove, unrelated to the computer problems): Whoops. Wait just a second. My kitchen is on fire.

TECH SUPPORT: (silence)

(Elie throws a cup of water on the flames.)

ME: Okay. Fire's out.

TECH SUPPORT: Now go to your Start menu and click on your control panel...

No comments: