Friday, March 26, 2004

Beaver News

Just when you thought it was safe to go, well, anywhere, without your waders, according to this article in Time magazine, the beavers are a-comin' back, and they're trying to make the world a more beaver-friendly place (read: lots of swamp). Now, I lived 17 years in Oregon, which is not called The Beaver State for nothing. I've known more than a few people who have contended with a 50-pound rodent's unique perspective on proper landscaping techniques and their tenacious resistance to relocation. I even ran into a beaver once in the middle of Omaha, Nebraska. By "middle," I mean he was damming a stream where it ran right underneath one of the busiest streets in the city. If the beavers are just now making a comeback, I'm going to have to seriously consider that inflatable kayak in the Sharper Image catalog as my next car.

No comments: