Friday, May 14, 2004

Con Report

Considering that my weekend entertainment, the Motor City Comic Con, bills itself as "Michigan's Largest Pop Culture Event," I find it odd that I saw nary a Klingon, Starfleet officer, Jedi, or Stormtrooper today. Usually at these conventions one finds at least one of those four. For those of you who have never attended a con, they are more than just gatherings of people whose social lives revolve around dressing up as fictional characters. Cons are an art show, book sale, flea market, and celebrity autograph party all in one.

The highlight of my day was meeting Tony Amendola, a recurring guest star of Stargate SG-1, which is my absolute favorite TV show. Mr. Amendola is a very nice person, as are most of the people at cons. We had a rather nice conversation about Mondays and how Sci-Fi Channel's four-hour block of Stargate SG-1 on Monday nights makes Monday tolerable. I managed to suppress the squeals of joy until after we had left the convention hall, though I think a few people in the parking lot wondered what was wrong with me. Finally, after four years of attending cons, I managed to have a conversation with one of the invited actors without sounding like a complete idiot. I still have brain cells that are trying to forget what I said to Adam West.

More Con reporting tomorrow.

No comments: