Saturday, May 08, 2004

Name That Context

"Easy access allows someone other than the consumer to buy it and then slip it to a woman without her knowledge or consent."

Believe it or not, the "it" in question is not a new date-rape drug, though the statement sounds eerily similar to an email I periodically get reminding me that, when I am at a bar or a party (two places I never go), I should only accept drinks opened in front of me, and always keep one hand covering the glass so no one can slip me a mickey and have their way with me while I'm drugged and will have no memory of the incident afterward.

That quotation is, I kid you not, cut-and-pasted from the Concerned Women For America's website--specifically, the page titled "Talking Points on the Morning-After Pill." By way of evidence for this potential danger, they cite, without sources, two anecdotes of physicians administering abortifacents to their pregnant girlfriends in some very creative manners. Who knew you could administer RU-486 pills vaginally without the woman noticing?

The dosage instructions for the Morning After Pill are to take one of the tablets within 72 hours, and a second tablet 12 hours later, for the medication to be effective. I'd be very interested to hear a plausible scenario where someone could manage that without the woman catching on.

No comments: