Thursday, May 06, 2004

Well, This Certainly Sucks Like a Hoover

Got my Jury Duty summons today.

I have long held the belief that, if I were put in the situation, I would opt out of the trial by jury. If my butt is on the line, I want my fate decided by someone whose job it is to know the law and apply it equally and fairly. I do not want to put my fate in the hands of 12 people who couldn't find a way out of jury duty. Yes, I know it is my civic duty to lose two days' pay on top of paying for parking so that I can have lawyers try to use more psychology than law to try to win me over to their sides, and if necessary I will fulfill that obligation. The jury duty system here does not seem particularly onerous; it is only for 2 days, provided I don't get seated on a trial that will take a while. Nonetheless, I find something inherently wrong when a jury of your peers is composed entirely of people who can be replaced at work for a couple of days, and when the most complex cases are decided by the people who have no responsibilities that would preclude them from being sequestered for months on end.

No comments: