Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Birthday Surprise

While we were in San Diego, Elie created the perfect birthday gift: personalized penguin artwork by the entire Groo Crew. For those who are new here, Groo is my favorite comic book. Groo is drawn by Sergio Aragones, written by Mark Evanier, lettered by Stan Sakai, and colored by Tom Luth, and all of them were at Comic Con. Elie stole around the convention behind my back and got each of the four of them to draw me a penguin. Sergio drew a penguin holding a flower with a grin on his beak and a heart over his head. Stan drew a hyper penguin jumping up and down and flapping his flippers, and also lettered "Happy Birthday, Janet!" at the top of the page. Mark drew a penguin waving his flipper, and even wrote personalized penguin dialog to go with it. Tom drew Rockhopper, his punk penguin character, and colored it in watercolors.

Elie then smuggled it home in his carry-on bag without me knowing and had it custom-framed in a turquoise frame that perfectly accents the colors in Sergio and Tom's penguins. It is absolutely beautiful, and I was so surprised. I have the most wonderful husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree Elie is a great guy, I am so glad you married such a nice guy! Keep up the good work treating my sister like a princess!