Monday, August 30, 2004

Time Warp

This week, we're switching from our broadband through our cable company to DSL through our phone company. SBC Yahoo! DSL sent us a letter notifying us of the following:
You should receive your SBC Yahoo! DSL equipment via UPS or Federal Express on
or before April 8, 1931. On April 8, 1931 you will want to install the
modem, the software, and the plug-in filters...You can install the equipment
before we complete all the work on our network, but please note that the SBC
Yahoo! DSL will not be accessible until April 8, 1931.

That is exactly how it is typed in the letter. They have informed us that our high speed internet will be connected approximately 73 years, 4 months and 22 days ago.

How on earth could the phone company have made such an egregious error as connecting our internet before the invention of the modern computer, let alone the internet? As amusing as it is, there is a very pedestrian explanation that, unfortunately, takes most of the funny out of their little snafu. In MM/DD/YY format, the date in the letter is 04/08/31. We are actually slated to be connected on 08/31/04.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogger! Ugh I've had it with all these huge posts, this blogging on dialup is seriously for the birds. All these photo's and flash in the blogs anymore have force me into getting DSL. I guess it's not so bad tho now that it is like 14.95 a month or whatever. Please be kind to all those remaining dialup users! But enough with that. Lets get back to the Time Warp stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, bloggers and bloggettes (is that even a word? lol). I was blogging around looking for info on SDSL and Time Warp popped up and looked interesting. Although it's not exactly like SDSL I still read most of the posts here.

Anonymous said...

I found Time Warp searching the blogs for speakeasy dsl. Luckily broadband is being installed in my neck of the woods. I just ordered speakeasy dsl. I can't wait to see how much faster I can search through the blogs and stuff. Can yah tell I'm a little excited? I don't even have it yet and I am sittin here posting about it! Hah hah hah, anyway, I really like your blog Blogger, I'm gonna go read some more posts. Hasta