Wednesday, August 11, 2004

May I One Day Have That Problem

Tonight, Elie and I went to dinner with a business acquaintance (the one whose writing project has caused me to neglect you my readers a bit lately). Midway through my second raspberry iced tea, he mentioned that he'd just taken a bath in the stock market, having lost $150,000 in the past two months. He tossed this tidbit out in much the same manner as I might mention that I had lost a sock in the dryer, and even joked about pulling all his investments and hiding the cash in his mattress until the markets turn around. By contrast, he let out a string of obscenities to put a longshoreman to shame when he noticed a pinky-nail sized speck of marinara sauce on his white shirt. You never know what some people will find important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, somebody ought to tell him Zout and Arm and Hammer laundry detergent (powder so it doesn't freeze :) ) will take just about anything out! It isn't worth embarrassing the sailors over! Ann O.