Monday, September 12, 2005

Just an Observation

I don't quite know what to make of this, but I think it is worth noting anyway.

There seems to be a vocal (if not actually large) contingent out there questioning the wisdom of rebuilding New Orleans when large chunks are below sea level. I don't recall anywhere near this level of sentiment against rebuilding something even bigger at the site of the World Trade Center even though the center had been the target of two separate terrorist attacks in the space of a decade.

Like I say, I'm not ready to venture an opinion as why the sentiment is so different about rebuilding the two disaster sites, but there does seem to be a disparity there. Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure it's more complex than "Black people live there, so let's just cede the place to the sea."

No comments: